Last updated: April 1, 2016
Here are a few general things to keep in mind as you read this Policy:
- The Website is owned and operated by TeacherSherpa, Inc. (referred to collectively in this policy as "we," "us," "our" and other similar pronouns).
- As our business changes, this Policy may also change, so we encourage you to come back to this page from time to time.
- This Website places cookies and local shared objects on your computer or device which are further described below. By using the Website, you agree to this.
Opt In and Opt Out
You may have the right to opt in to or opt out of certain of our uses and disclosures of your Personal Information. For example, we may ask you if you want to get marketing messages from us when you submit Personal Information to us on the Website. If you do get marketing emails from us, you can tell us you don't want to get them by clicking on the opt-out link in those emails.
Or, contact us through your Account or write to us at: Opt-Out Request, TeacherSherpa Inc., TeacherSherpa, Inc. 1250 Capitol of Texas Hwy South, Bldg 3, Ste 400, Austin, Texas 78746. Please include your name, address, email and phone number and tell us if you want us to stop sharing your Personal Information with third parties for marketing purposes, or if you want us to stop sending a particular kind of communication. If you are writing about a communication sent to you by TeacherSherpa, please include the name or type of the communication.
It may take us a few days to process any opt-out request. In addition, if you opt out of having your Personal Information shared with third parties for marketing purposes, you may continue to receive communications from third parties who received your Personal Information from us before we processed your opt-out. To stop receiving such communications, please contact the third party directly.
What information is collected on this Website?
"Personal Information" is information that can be used to identify an individual or allow someone to contact an individual. We may collect Personal Information such as:
- postal or physical address
- region in which you teach, live or work
- school at which you work
- email address
- telephone number
- credit card and other payment information (collected by our Payor Provider – this information does not get collected by Teachersherpa)
Personal Information may also include information, such as names and email addresses, that we collect from you about other people when you share content on our Website with someone else or purchase a gift.
We may also collect information such as your date of birth and certain demographic information. We do not generally treat these as Personal Information except when tied to information such as that listed above.
Website Usage Information
When you visit our Website, our servers automatically collect the Internet protocol, or "IP", address associated with your computer, to help us track and resolve issues with Website functionality or administration. An IP address is a string of numbers that is usually controlled by a user's Internet service provider, and automatically assigned when a user's computer connects to the Internet. In some cases, we may get general geographic location information from your IP address.
We may also capture "clickstream data" about your Website usage. Clickstream data includes information about your "clicks" or actions on our Websites, such as what you see or click on during your visit and how you interacted with certain features. It can include information about your computer or device, Web browser and operating system and settings and may include referrer URL information that is automatically passed to us (that is, information about where the user came from before arriving on our Website, which may include search terms in the URL string).
To track information about use of our Websites, we use various technological tools. For example:
- Cookies are small data files sent by a Web Website or application and stored on your computer or device at the request of that Website or app. A cookie stores information related to your browser to enable us to recognize your browser on return visits to our Website and remember your preferences. Most browsers can be set to detect browser cookies and to let you reject them, but refusing cookies may make it difficult to use the Website. To learn more about browser cookies, including how to manage or delete them, look in the Tools, Help or similar section of your Web browser, or visit http://allaboutcookies.org.
- Local shared objects, such as "Flash cookies," may be stored on your computer or device through a media player or other software installed on your computer or device. Local shared objects operate a lot like cookies, but cannot be managed in the same way. Depending on how local shared objects are enabled on your computer or device, you may be able to manage them using software settings. For information on managing Flash cookies, visit http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html.
- A pixel tag (also known as a "clear GIF" or "web beacon") is a tiny image - typically just one-pixel - that can be placed on a Web page or in an email to you, to tell us when you have displayed that page or opened that email.
We may use third party service providers to assist us in collecting and understanding Website usage information.
By using our Website, you agree to our use of these tracking technologies.
Some of our mobile applications may collect information about the location of your mobile device so we can provide location-based services. To manage location services, check the settings on your mobile device or contact your mobile service provider or device manufacturer. Specific mobile applications may include additional terms that relate only to those apps.
We may also capture log data, device type, browser or similar information so we can track usage and evaluate our Website performance.
How is your information used?
We may use the information we collect from and about you to perform various business functions including, for example:
- authenticating you as a user and enabling you to use the
- processing and fulfilling transactions
- maintaining and administering the Website and your account with us
- responding to your requests
- analyzing the Website, making overall Website improvements and developing new features
- sending you marketing and other communications, including information about products, services, and events, of ours and of others, that we think might interest you
- protecting our rights and property and the rights, property, and safety of others
- investigating suspected fraud or other unlawful activity
- personalizing or customizing our Website to your interests and history with us (for example, remembering favorites or materials that you are currently working on)
- evaluating email marketing and other campaigns
- tailoring ads displayed to you on our Website and elsewhere to your interests and history with us
- other purposes disclosed when Personal Information is submitted to us
- where otherwise permitted or required by applicable law
To do these things, we may match information collected from you in different ways or at different times, including both Personal Information and Website usage information, and use that information along with information obtained from other sources (including third parties) such as demographic information and updated contact information.
Some tools on our Website allow you to share content from our Website through a third party social network. If you use these tools, please be aware that third party social networking services have their own privacy policies, and we encourage you to read them.
You may also be able to give us information on our Website that you have already provided to a third party social network.
Do we share Personal Information and Website Usage Information with others?
Yes. We share the information we collect on the Website with others who need it to provide services and so we can operate or support the Website or our business.
Information sharing also happens when it is a necessary part of certain Website features, such as when you post your information to public areas on the Website where other Website users can see it.
We may also share your Personal Information:
- with our affiliates and third parties for their marketing and other purposes, unless you tell us not to by following the instructions in the Opt In Opt Out section above
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property or that of others, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government, judicial or other legal request, or to comply with the law
- in connection with a corporate change or dissolution, including for example a merger, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets or wind down of business; and due diligence related to the foregoing
- in additional circumstances subject to your consent
In addition, we may share non-personally identifiable Website usage information (including aggregate data) with others, for their own use, in a form that does not include your name or contact information.
Third-Party Tracking, Ad Servers and Networks
Third parties, such as ad networks, web analytics companies and social networking platforms, may collect personally identifiable information about your online activities over time and across our Websites and other third party online properties or services. These companies may use information about your visits to this and other Web Websites, and general geographic information derived from your IP address. These companies may employ cookies, clear GIFs and other tracking technologies.
Your Access Rights
You may review or change certain Personal Information in your user account on the Website (if you have one) by logging in to your Account or similar area of the Website. We may ask you to verify your identity before we provide you with your information or make changes to it. We reserve the right to keep certain Personal Information necessary for record-keeping to the extent permitted and/or required by law, including any statutory retention requirements.
While we have policies and procedures in place and take reasonable measures to protect the confidentiality, security and integrity of Personal Information collected on this Website (like SSL encryption for transmissions of payment card information by our Provider Payor), we cannot guarantee that information will be absolutely safe from intrusion during transmission, while stored on our systems, or when otherwise in our care. Except as expressly required by applicable statute or regulation, we will have no liability for disclosure of your Personal Information due to errors or unauthorized acts of third parties during or after transmission. The Payor Provider is responsible for the storage and security of Personal Information relating to payments and not us.
If you create an account on our Website, you are responsible for maintaining the strict confidentiality of your account password, and for any activity that occurs under your account credentials, whether or not authorized by you. Please notify us of any unauthorized use of your account or any other breach of security.
If we believe that the security of your Personal Information in our care may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development, as soon as possible under the circumstances. If we have your email address, we may notify you by email. You consent to our use of email as a means of such notification.
"Linked-To" Web Websites
This Website may contain links that lead to other third party websites or use third party services. We are not responsible for these other websites and services, and their privacy policies (not this Policy) will govern the collection and use of your information there. We encourage you to read them.
We may change this Policy from time to time. When we do, we will let you know by posting the changed Policy on this page with a new "Last Updated" date. We may choose (or be required by law) to tell you about changes by additional means, such as by sending an email to the email address we have on file for you. In some cases, we may request your consent to the changes.
If you have any questions or comments regarding our privacy practices, you may contact us at:
1250 Capitol of Texas Hwy South,
Bldg 3, Ste 400, Austin, Texas 78746
Effective Date: April 1, 2016